Tuesday, September 23, 2008

poor baby

So, yesterday Gavin was playing peek-a-boo with me, using the curtains to hide. He's laughing one minute, screaming and grabbing his eye the next. I figured he probably got some cat fur in it, or poked himself. So, I put him down for his nap, where he has a hard time going to sleep. When he wakes up (after only 45 mins) he was screaming worse than before his nap. I kept him from rubbing his eyes, hoping that it would get better. It didnt. He just wanted to be held, and walked. So, I call the advice nurse at hs clinic, and get put on hold for almost 45 mins!! When I finally talked to someone, I just had to leave a message. Fortunately, the advice nurse called me back relatively fast. She said that she was going to make me an appt for tomorrow (today) but she could hear Gavin screaming in the background. So, she advised me to take him to the ER, because it sounded like he might have something in it. So, we go to the ER (and got seen the fastest EVER) and they do the dye in his eye, to see if theres a scratch. Imagine my surprise when it showed not a scratch, but more a GOUGE. Gavin had taken a rectangular section off his cornea when he was playing peek-a-boo. Only my son would do something like that. But, poor baby! No wonder his eye was hurting! So, we got ointment to put on his eye, that would help soothe it, but also help prevent any infection to occur in his eye. The ER doc said that his eye should be healed in a day or so, since he's a baby and babies tend to heal faster than adults. Yeah, that's good....it takes 2 of us to put the ointment in, and we have to do it 3 times a day. We only have to do the ointment for about 3 days, so hopefully I wont have to do it at Joni's house. That would be interesting.

Anyway, Gavin's feeling somewhat better this morning. Although, he did fall and hit that same eye on the couch, so now he'll have a bruise there. Sigh. My poor baby. All I can think now, is "of course it's MY child who does something like hurt himself playing one of the calmest games babies can play. Of course!". Only Gavin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A GOUGE??? Ok, I thought that Gavin was a nutter from the moment he was born(he is your son), but a GOUGE??? geez, leave it to a baby to get a gouge in his eye.


(rnuai:some type of nut sauce)